Friday, June 14, 2013

Flood, it's a way of life for a Thomasian.

The flood has been a way of life at the University of Santo Tomas, for many years now. The campus has been flooded countless times from times of heavy rainfall or strong typhoons. There is not one year that the campus will be flooded.

For three years of my Thomasian life, I never experienced getting stranded in the flood on campus. It all changed yesterday. My classes on a Thursday always end at 1pm. However, we had to stay on campus for we were going to have a consultation for our thesis. Then came the heavy rain at around 2pm. We pushed with the consultation despite the heavy rainfall and the fact they already suspended classes at 3pm. Once were done, the flood waters continued to rise, we went up the second floor of the building. I knew they were not going to get themselves and will ride out until the floods subside. However, I took a chance and laid everything on the line. I left the building putting my own safety at some risk, and started my road through the floods to get a ride back home. Even inside the campus it was already flooding reaching above the gutter. Once I got out of the gate, it was just the start of the battle. I kept on walking, crossing the overpass to the direction of the road back home. It wasn't flooded on the gutters. But once the gutter ends on an intersection or corner where the elevation is low, the flood waters were at a high of knee-deep. I had no slippers which is better in walkig through the flood, so I braved the flood with leather shoes on and I took out my socks which was already wet. In some corners, residents set up bridges for people to cross through the road for a small price. But I didn't want to pay for that so I went through the flood. I walked from in front of UST up to Blumentritt which was 1 kilometer long for about an hour through the heavy flood. Once I got there, the flood was gone and fortunately, there was an FX bound north waiting so I took it for the ride back home, and after an hour on the road. I arrived home wet but safe.

It was an experience unlike any other. I never thought I'd be able to go through this experience in my life. As they say, you're a certified Thomasian if you get stuck on campus in heavy rain or walking through the flood which I did. However, this could be the only time I'll pull off this stunt. If we get stuck in the flood again, I'll have to ride it out inside the campus and wait for the flood waters to recede before going back home. Well, it's better to get stuck on campus than falling on a manhole that could be opened on any road in times like these.

Lesson learned: Bring slippers and my phone's charger on campus from here on out.

Walked my way through the flood, now I'm a certified Thomasian. LOL!
K-Smoove

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are always welcome and free to comment on our posts whether it is positive or negative.

However, I may delete your comments if these are unwelcoming and detrimental not only to me, but to other people who visit this blog.

Thank you,
K-Smoove