Friday, March 14, 2014

Meeting the man behind Pacific Rims and Pinoy Hoops.

I was browsing through Facebook, when I saw an invite to an event for Tuesday, when I read it, I was pumped up! Because the man behind the book "Pacific Rims" and the National Geographic Channel documentary "Pinoy Hoops" Rafe Bartholomew is coming back to the Philippines for a book signing at his old stomping grounds while he was in the country to write his book in the Katipunan area of Quezon City.

So with no hesitation, I went half-day for work on Tuesday, took the LRT from UST to Katipunan and I went straight to the venue which was Gino's Brick Oven Pizza just across the campuses of Miriam College and Ateneo de Manila University. Since I didn't have lunch prior to getting there, I took time to eat my lunch there, and their pizza was very delicious and I'd be happy to come back if given the chance. Then at mid-day the man finally arrived. When the book signing was about to start, a crew from ABS-CBN came along with former UST courtside reporter Tina Marasigan to conduct an interview with Rafe, which took awhile. Afterwards, the owner of the place who happens to be a close friend of Rafe opened up the day with a question and answer part. I threw in a question to him where I asked about the chances of Gilas Pilipinas in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain. Where the best case is that they'll get to pass the second round while the worst case is that they fail to win a game in the tournament, but he also said the team could be one of the darlings of the tournament. I also happen to give him a suggestion on a possible second season of Pinoy Hoops where they should look at the college game, not only limited to the UAAP and NCAA, but also to other parts of the country where I mentioned Cebu who also has a rich basketball history.

Afterwards, the book signing began. Since I came in first, I got to have my copy of his book Pacific Rims signed up first. Since I happen to follow him on Twitter, I was surprised he read this blog especially my articles about Gilas Pilipinas and my NBA Global Games experience. He also happens to know my obsession for the Houston Rockets, which gave a huge smile on my face. Best part of it all was we got to converse in Filipino of which he's fluent for a little while.

 Photos ©Karl Carandang

So I'd like to thank Sir Rafe Bartholomew for the opportunity to finally meet you in person. I am looking forward to the day we cross paths again. Thank you for all the inspiration that you gave this kid who loves basketball and sports a lot. I also forgot to tell you that I'm a lefty just like you are that's why I came in very inspired.

It was a unique experience for myself, I really hope that my friends can come in and jump the train with me the next time he comes back.

Inspiration comes full swing.
K-Smoove

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are always welcome and free to comment on our posts whether it is positive or negative.

However, I may delete your comments if these are unwelcoming and detrimental not only to me, but to other people who visit this blog.

Thank you,
K-Smoove